life: year 37
Today marks my 37th year on earth.
I can’t believe I’m 37.
I mean, where does time go?
A few of my girlfriends and I got together to celebrate my personal new year over the weekend and the topic of age came up. We all agreed that we did not “feel” over thirty and I agree, I feel like I’m 25 and those who know me will surely agree that at times I act like I’m 18 lol.
Truth be told, I really didn’t think that I would make it to this chapter.
Ever been so overwhelmed to the point where you can’t think straight?! Most of my 36th year consisted of the latter.
A slew of events took place that were so overwhelming at the time, it almost felt like was drowning in stress.
So much so that my zeal for life was on its way to extinction.
But as the English evangelical preacher John Bradford once said:
There, but by the grace of God go I.
I’m here solely because God continues to extend to me His mercy.
I’ve learned a few lessons at 36 and although uncomfortable at the time, looking back, I wouldn’t change it for the world.
They say that smooth seas don’t make skillful’ sailors. God must have wanted to promote me to Lieutenant Commander because the waves were 15feet tall… at least they felt like they were.
So what have I learned?
Let me share below.
1. Control is a pride issue, one cannot fully submit their life to God where there’s a lack of humility.
2. God cannot bless what you won’t allow Him to touch.
3. Unforgiveness is the thief of joy… not comparison.
4. Nothing will ever make me whole but God, and that pursuit in anything but Him to fill a void is futile.
5. God will absolutely put more on us than we can bear so that we hopefully come to the realization that we were never meant to bear it in the first place.
6. That I must share my story, not for the world’s applauds, but rather to be of service to those who need to hear it.
7. To extend grace to everyone. Everyone is truly fighting a battle.
8. More listening, less talking. Listen to the prompts of people’s characters whether it be negative or positive, and govern yourself accordingly. Either you keep ’em around or you don’t. As Black Sheep once said… the choice is yours.
9. More praying for others, people are hurting, and many don’t know how to ask for help.
10. God is always in control. Always ! No matter what things may seem like.
11. wisdom doesn’t always come with age, sometimes it comes as a result of experience. One will never be too old to take wise counsel from someone who may be younger yet happens to have experienced much more as a result of life’s circumstances.
My waves rage from time to time, and I’m sure some of you may also be experiencing turbulent waters as we often suffer collectively in silence.
I come bearing wonderful news, and I speak from experience a wisdom bestowed on me by life’s experiences, age and an unrivaled Truth; know that there’s an unexplainable peace available to you through Jesus Christ, one that can fill you, one that passes all understanding and one that is freely available to you.
In closing, I now understand that God’s intentions were never meant to promote me to lieutenant commander but rather demote me to passenger.
No one wants to be demoted from any position, however, this is a demotion I welcome with open arms and I invite you to do the same.
Until next time.
“Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.” – psalm 91:14-16